Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My time in Colorado

Hello, I know it has been a while since my last post. I'm sorry I am just getting to posting about my trip to Colorado. Well to start off, it was 100 degrees the day I left and very humid! I have to drive at night, because I have no air conditioning in my van. So when I actually left it was about 85 degrees. I drove to Dumas, TX and stayed the rest of the night. When I woke up, it was already cooler, and the closer I got to Colorado, the cooler it got. I was up on one of the passes and actually hit 59 degrees, it was SO nice! I arrived in Olathe, Colorado and it was nice and cool there also. So it was WONDERFUL getting to escape the heat and humidity. I immediately started helping my mom with her cherry harvest. I worked EVERY DAY but ONE. And we worked from DAWN TO DUSK (except for Sundays, we only worked in the afternoon). We would go to bed at night not even able to keep our eyes open, we were so tired!

I had taken the kids' bikes out there to ride in the orchard, and I'm so glad I did, they had such a blast doing that. Blake actually learned how to ride his bike with no training wheels, and he really did GOOD once he learned, which was quite an ordeal teaching him.

Every day was about the same, work work work. Then we had an opportunity to be a vendor at a BIG event in Olathe. It was a thing called "Night Vision". Basically it was a 2 day festival (July 3rd and 4th) and they brought in about 15 Christian bands to perform. Some of the bands were: Natalie Grant, Brandon Heath, the David Crowder Band, The Catinas, etc... (I can't remember all of them). So for those 2 days, we sold cherries and got to be at the festival and work at the same time, which was pretty fun.

I went to Colorado a little discouraged. Not too bad, but just a little unhappy. Well, I got to go to 4 baptisms and an ordinance supper, which really uplifted me, which I REALLY needed!

One of the highlights of my trip was getting to go to Ouray, Colorado (on my one day off) and spend the day with my sister, Peggy, who lives there. She took me and the kids WAY up into the San Juan Range. The terrain was SCARY, it was a one lane road (with an occasional part to pull off for oncoming cars to get through). There were rocks (BIG ROCKS) everywhere on the road, and cliffs all over. It isn't the most peaceful drive up into the mountains, but the views are BREATHTAKING! She took us up what they call Yankee Boy Basin, and it is just gorgeous there! (The mountains displayed on the top of my page is the San Juan Range, and we were on the back side of them) I really enjoyed that day, and I know it will be a great memory for me and my kids forever.


The first scenery picture is an actual picture of the road we drove on, pretty scary huh? The below picture is of me, the kids, and my nephew, Danny

Then after being in Colorado for 2 weeks, I was ready to come home, even if it was to heat & humidity. The old saying is true: There's no place like home :) I decided to go home through Denver and stop and see my brother-in-law and sister-in-law (Dale and Chantel). So we drove up to Denver, stayed the night, and it ended up working out that Chantel got to ride with me to Oklahoma and visit her family for a week, so I had company on my way home.


It was such an enjoyable trip for me. I got so much rejoicing while I was there, and was just glad to get to go :)

12 comments:

Sis. Leah said...

Glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your self as you worked. The pictures of the mountains are beautiful, except I don't know that I would want to drive up it. Looks just a little to scary forme.Glad you made it back home safe.

Jackie said...

I am gald to hear that you had a good trip. Looking at those cherries made me want some. When I was pregnant with JoHannah I craved bing cherries.

Sis Stubby said...

Thanks for the post.HEHe
It is breath taking.So beautiful

Charlotte said...

Hi Jules,
I am so glad you had a wonderful and safe trip. I am so glad you got to spend time with your Mom. The pic of the road looks like the Sun Road on the way to the Glasure in MT. The road is not fun but the view is worth it all. I often think of God making the mountains. I picture in my mind of Him so big and the mountains being like clay to Him.

Marisela said...

Glad you were able to go and heve a good time. The pictures of the mountians are beautiful. Glad you made it home safe.

Tiffany said...

Wow girly you were busy! I couldn't imagine working from dusk till dawn everyday picking cherries. Thats really nice you were able to help you mom with that. Beautiful pictures.

meNmykids said...

Sounds lovely. Memories are a treasure. I love the road!

Sis. Frankie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip even though you worked most of the time. I loved the pictures. I love to look at God's beauty on this earth. Thanks for sharing!

Sabriena said...

How beautiful! But really, the only creation of God that it is hard to find beauty in is man, and that when God is not dwelling within us. I'm so glad that you were blessed to have a wonderful time, to see many family and loved ones and be at baptisms and an Ordinance Supper. You sound very uplifted. I'm glad you had a safe trip again. Which baptisms were you at?

Skylene said...

Co sure is beautiful, glad you had a good time. I was glad to see you here the other day. Come back, bring your family, and stay the night with us sometime.

Chantel H said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip so much. It's always good to get encouraged. Thanks for the ride, I can't believe how it just flew by. Our visit was great, but I will always remember that storm!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time it sounds like the Lord blessed you with! Your pictures make me miss all the beautiful scenery in Colorado. We were able to see so much when we visited the brethren there, and your pictures brought back sweet memories!