I have been in Colorado for 1 week and already have SOOO much to write about. The only thing I can do is start with the day I arrived and go in order in what I have done since I've been here. I arrived Saturday, June 28th and that evening I went to my cousin, Arlene's wedding. It was very nice, and I LOVED seeing surprised faces ;) The next day, I went to church in Montrose and LOVED the new building. For the last 17 years, Montrose has held meetings in a TEENY TINY little building that just wasn't the ideal place for holding meetings. But they were blessed with a church just down the road from the old building. It was a church that had caught fire (while the people were in there) and so our church had a lot of work ahead of them. It took almost one year of cleaning and rebuilding, but they finally finished. It is SOOO nice. I will try to take some pictures sometime and post them. But it was amazing being able to sit in a nice building for church. After church, I went to a double anniversary party. This is pretty amazing, the girl that got married on Saturday, it was her parent's 25th anniversary, and her grandparent's 50th anniversary. So they all were married 25 years apart. I thought that was neat. It was my Aunt and Uncle that celebrated the 50th anniversary. It was a VERY nice turnout, I think there was around 250 people there. I enjoyed it :)
Monday, I didn't do a lot, but did visit with my immediate family. Tuesday, I went to see my cousins, Jeanette and Amber, they are also out of towners ;) I had a nice time visiting with them. Wednesday, I didn't do much, I had severe allergies :P Thursday, I went to see my good friend, Beth. We always have good things to talk about, and I'm so happy to have a friend like her!!! Then I left from her house, to my sister's house in Ouray. 

Ouray is seriously the most beautiful place I've ever been to!!! My sister has lived there for around 13 years, and I don't think she will ever leave Ouray. It is a tourist town. Ouray has a big July 4th festival, and I had never been to the day festivals. I had been to the firework show once, and it was amazing. Every time a firework boomed, it echoed because Ouray is a valley town surrounded by gorgeous mountains! SO it sounded like thunder all around. My sister, Peggy took me up into the mountains a little ways. There is this one cliff that is SCARY. It doesn't go straight down, it goes in a little bit.
I love looking down from that cliff, but it always scares me!!! So Thursday was basically a sightseeing day. Then Friday was the best day ever. There was a July 4th parade. It was a very fun parade. Lots of water was flung to and from the floats. They really get into water fights there ;) Then, to our surprise, 2 (1940's) fighter planes flew over us, and I was able to get a great picture of one of them.
It made the whole town cheer, and it was a very exciting moment. Those planes were very brave to fly in between mountains like they did. It was awesome. The parade ended and we immediately went to the park for the childrens races. They had a lot of different races for different ages of children. Taylor won the sprinting race, and the gunny sack race. She got $2.00 for winning. She is my little athlete. Then after that, we (me, my niece, Kayla, and the kids) went back to my sister's house and ate lunch and rested for a while. Then we went back to Main Street for the water fights. When you think of water fights, you think everyone had a water gun and was shooting everyone with it. NOPE that's not what this water fight was... This one is where the firefighters hook up two hoses and they have groups of 2 people spraying each other with those POWERFUL hoses.
They spray each other until the other team either falls down, or loses control of the hoses. It was very intense. They also sprayed upwards and drenched everyone in the audience many times. After that, we went back to my sisters house and rested again. Then I took my kids to a place called Box Canyon. 
It is a MAJOR tourist attraction, you walk right up to a VERY powerful waterfall that has carved a small canyon. It is one of my favorite places to go. After that we went back to my sister's house and watched the fireworks from her roof. They were so amazing, I LOVED hearing the rumble all around me!!!The next morning, I woke up and my niece and I took the kids and went to Grand Junction for another wedding, Nicole and Jered. It was a short and sweet wedding. Then we came back to Olathe (where I'm from). Then Sunday I went to church in Montrose again. It is Monday again, and I'm ready to slow this week down a little. The last week was so busy for me, I was running so much last week that I'm just not wanting to do anything this week, except spend time with my immediate family.
Whew... Sorry for the long story of my first week here. I hope I didn't bore anyone with it ;) I hope everyone else had a great July 4th!!!
Monday, I didn't do a lot, but did visit with my immediate family. Tuesday, I went to see my cousins, Jeanette and Amber, they are also out of towners ;) I had a nice time visiting with them. Wednesday, I didn't do much, I had severe allergies :P Thursday, I went to see my good friend, Beth. We always have good things to talk about, and I'm so happy to have a friend like her!!! Then I left from her house, to my sister's house in Ouray. 

(These are taken from my sister's deck)
Ouray is seriously the most beautiful place I've ever been to!!! My sister has lived there for around 13 years, and I don't think she will ever leave Ouray. It is a tourist town. Ouray has a big July 4th festival, and I had never been to the day festivals. I had been to the firework show once, and it was amazing. Every time a firework boomed, it echoed because Ouray is a valley town surrounded by gorgeous mountains! SO it sounded like thunder all around. My sister, Peggy took me up into the mountains a little ways. There is this one cliff that is SCARY. It doesn't go straight down, it goes in a little bit.
I love looking down from that cliff, but it always scares me!!! So Thursday was basically a sightseeing day. Then Friday was the best day ever. There was a July 4th parade. It was a very fun parade. Lots of water was flung to and from the floats. They really get into water fights there ;) Then, to our surprise, 2 (1940's) fighter planes flew over us, and I was able to get a great picture of one of them.
It made the whole town cheer, and it was a very exciting moment. Those planes were very brave to fly in between mountains like they did. It was awesome. The parade ended and we immediately went to the park for the childrens races. They had a lot of different races for different ages of children. Taylor won the sprinting race, and the gunny sack race. She got $2.00 for winning. She is my little athlete. Then after that, we (me, my niece, Kayla, and the kids) went back to my sister's house and ate lunch and rested for a while. Then we went back to Main Street for the water fights. When you think of water fights, you think everyone had a water gun and was shooting everyone with it. NOPE that's not what this water fight was... This one is where the firefighters hook up two hoses and they have groups of 2 people spraying each other with those POWERFUL hoses.
They spray each other until the other team either falls down, or loses control of the hoses. It was very intense. They also sprayed upwards and drenched everyone in the audience many times. After that, we went back to my sisters house and rested again. Then I took my kids to a place called Box Canyon. 
It is a MAJOR tourist attraction, you walk right up to a VERY powerful waterfall that has carved a small canyon. It is one of my favorite places to go. After that we went back to my sister's house and watched the fireworks from her roof. They were so amazing, I LOVED hearing the rumble all around me!!!Whew... Sorry for the long story of my first week here. I hope I didn't bore anyone with it ;) I hope everyone else had a great July 4th!!!





















































17 comments:
I am so glad to hear that you are having a good time. I love the pictures. Especially the ones from your sisters deck. I would love to live there, what a wonderful veiw. It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun on the 4th. It would be awesome to see the firemen having the water fight. Well I hope you continue to have fun and I will keep you in my prayers.
I'm glad your having a great time. I have to say that I am a little jealous! I would LOVE to go visit in CO. Keep the posts coming! I guess I will just have to live through you! HE HE!
Great pictures! That water fight looks like alot of fun too! I'm glad you've had such a nice week and i hope this week is just as special to you =D. Will you be near Grand Junction this weekend? I know so brethren from over here who might be making a trip there...
Jules, thanks for the wonderful recap of your week. I am SO glad you got to sneak away for an early visit to see your family and brethren. You look so sweet with your kids! Mmm...I wonder who those brethren are who might be making a trip to Colorado?
Those are amazing pictures!! I think I want to got visit that place. I am glad you are having a good visit and look forward to hearing more!!!
Okay Lori and Tiffany, you're driving me CRAZY with who is coming to GJ this weekend. Is it any of you!?!?!?! I would definately drive to Grand Junction if it was!!! SO fess up, who is it??? LOL.
I'm so glad that you are getting to have this time in Colorado! It sounds like you have been having a blast! I can imagine that you are ready for a little bit of a break though. From you and JoAnn's blogs it sounds like Ouray is a place I would love to visit sometime. How close is it to where the brethren are? Of course the chances of us taking a trip to Colorado are very slim; but you never know...
by the way, how do you get that thing on your page where it tells you when your buddies have last posted? I would like to figure out how to do that. Then I could know when to read people's blogs.
Tish: Ouray is about 40 minutes from Montrose, and about 1 hour from Delta. So it is not too far from brethren. It is BEAUTIFUL! Go to your layout, then add a new page element. IU believe when you se the list of elements, I think it is the top left element. It is called a blog list. You'll have to enter everyone's web addresses, one at a time. It is time consuming, but so worth it. I like not having to check everyone's blog every single time. It doesn't work for the people who have private blogs, but it does for those who are public.
What awesome pictures. Colorado is certainly one of the most beautiful states I've ever been too( not that I've been to many tee hee)The picture of your Mom brought back such sweet memories of meeting her and sitting in their new church. Please give the brethren there a big hello from the Hansens!
that sounds like alot of fun im so glad your having a blast and getting to spend time with your family it seems like the first week is always busy when you are visiting family you want to catch up on doing what you miss out for so long i know exacly how you feel hopefully not to much longer my parents will be here maybe when you get back they will be at my house!!
I'm not allowed to tell you who might be heading your way, because it isn't a for sure thing ;). Hehe but it is someone who posted a comment on this post thou, and its not me...
lol I'm going to get in trouble for saying that!
It sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think that that was too long a post - but considering the posts I write...
I'm glad that you've been enjoying your time. Fourth of July sounds great out there! My Dad has an RC airplane that looks just like that one! I hadn't realized about the 25th anniversary. I just knew about the 50th because Amber lives here and has been talking about it. It sounds like you've had a great time. Continue doing so!
way cool trip for you my hubby has very good friends over by Montrose next time he visits with them I want to go meet the brethren there any way enjoy your trip and have a great day love Sister Charlene
Your trip looks like loads of fun & beauty. I would blame your sister for never moving. What a view she has of what God made. Wow. I would love to see the waterfights. It sounds fun. There's a small town here in Idaho that every 4th of July they have porcupine races. It's a sight to behold.
Hi!
I just wanted to "de-lurk" and say hello!
Emily
Wow sounds like you had a great trip in co. I love it there too. I haven't visited for a long time so I loved seeing your pics.
Post a Comment