Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Fifth Disease


While I was helping Cherrie and Lee paint their house in Drumright I noticed that I got this UGLY rash on my arms. It looked like a bunch of dark red splotchy spots all over my arms. I had them a little bit on my chest also. I at first thought that I had an allergic reaction to the paint. Then last night I noticed that Blake had a few red dots/pimples on his face and I thought it was just dry skin. So I put Vaseline on his face and when he woke up, the red dots were still on his face. I didn't know what to think, but he went on to school as normal. Well... I got a call from the school and they said that Blake has a thing called Fifth Disease. It is kind of like chicken pox, but not bad like them. We all know pox itch and are just miserable. Well, Fifth Disease doesn't itch or anything, it just looks ugly. But like pox, you are contagious before the breakout. And it lasts 1 to 3 weeks when you finally break out. And supposedly you don't get it again, your body becomes immune to it. They said that he was fine to keep going to school though. They wanted to just let me know what it was, which I really appreciated. It is just a thing that is going around, so I thought I would let everyone know, because I had no idea what the rash was. Anyway, you get a fever about a week before you break out. I now think back to before I had the rash and I was sick but not throwing up. I had a fever and felt terrible. And it was about 1 week before the rash showed up. I will try to post a picture of Blake's skin, but for now, I found this picture, the arm in the picture looks EXACTLY like the rash I had a couple weeks ago. So this is just for all of you to know ahead of time, just in case ;)

3 comments:

Trina said...

Some of my kids have had this before. I didnt know what it was at the time either, until the school had sent home a notice describing it. They said it looked like someone had slapped you across the face...lol. Im glad that it isnt anything more serious. Take care of yourself and little Blake!

Cherrie said...

I am glad they told you what it was. It sure makes you feel better to at least know. Thanks for the help today. You have been a life saver.

meNmykids said...

It is such an ugly rash, and reappears all over. No telling when it will pop up again, and where. It was awful when we had it, people looked at us like we were terrible to take our kids out looking like that. Hope you all get it right away so it doesn't get drug out too long.