Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cleaning flower beds

We moved to this house 1 year ago this month. You know how the first few months, you are basically just settling in, well that's what I was doing 1 year ago. Then we had a hard year with money, so I went to work part and full time as a server. It left me so tired that I couldn't do a lot of extra things around my house that I wanted to. I have a area in my front yard that filled up with weeds last year. I pulled weeds a couple different times, but as much as it rained, it was overrun with weeds. Well this year, I'm not working outside of the home and I can get some things done that needed done. Ryan was working out of town this week so I thought I would do a few extra things this week. One thing was to get ready for a yard sale (which I plan to have the first weekend in April). I have been working in my garage like crazy, and I will post pictures of that accomplishment, but it's not QUITE finished yet. So when it is, I will post pictures ;) And my second goal was to clean up the flower bed in my front yard. I pulled all the dead weeds, and basically just cleaned the area. I put a weed barrier down and put cedar mulch on top of it. I plan on planting a few, or maybe a LOT of flowers very soon, but the first step was to get the area rid of weeds and prevent weeds from coming up. So I am really happy with what I have accomplished. I have just a little bit left to do, and I ran out of cedar mulch, so I need to go buy more, but I have maybe another hour worth of work left. I'm VERY happy!

The black (plastic) is the weed barriers that I was talking about. To the right, you'll see about how many weeds I had to pull throughout the bed. This is the last section that I have left to do!

The finished look, well at least until I have flowers in it!

9 comments:

Cherrie said...

you have really been on a roll lately with the cleaning. Your flower beds look great. Keep up the good work, it is always a good feeling to get so much accomplished.

Sabriena said...

It feels so good to get things like that done. Good for you!

Marisela said...

It looks really nice. What a great feeing to be able to get things accomplished.

Sis. Lori P. said...

Ohh! The sun is shining at your house? That's nice...we're in for a show storm this weekend...no planting for us in OR! The flower bed looks very nice...you'll have to post a pic when it's full of flowers a bloomin!

Anonymous said...

You're makin me feel guilty getting all that you've accomplished done! (Everything looks beautiful) But I felt so much better after reading what Lori wrote: Snowstorm!! .... OH well I guess I'll get to the yard NEXT weekend ;P

Jules said...

WOW! I can't believe you're getting snow! Oklahoma was actually 80 degrees yesterday, but it is in the 40's today! It looks like it wil be raining here this weekend, so I am actually glad that I got the weed barriers down, so that those stinking things don't sprout up with the rain! Well, stay warm up there :)

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

Golly you're lucky! I've been waiting weeks to plant flowers with the kids I baby-sit, but we've either been too sick, or the weather is nasty. Can't wait till we've got spring weather again...Looks nice at your house! =)

melissa said...

lets not talk about cleaning yards lol i have so much to do after the ice storm, we have so much stuff to pick up it seems like we work on it a day or 2 and then it rains so we have to wait till it dries up and i am so wanting grass but you know how that goes when all your money goes to bills grrrrrr anyways your yards are looking nice keep up the good work

Tish said...

It's so nice to hear how much you are getting done. My baby has been kind of sick the last few days, and mostly wants me to hold him all day long; so I haven't been getting much done. He's actually playing nicely right now and what I really want to do is lay down and take a nap, but your post has motivated me to get up and get some stuff done while I can! So thanks for the reminder of the nice accomplished feeling we get when we do what needs done.

It was also so nice your little post about you and Ryan's 11 year "Anniversary". I sure would like a chance to get to know you guys a little better. It's so nice to be married to a man you still love after that many years and hopefully many more.