Friday, March 7, 2008

Rounding up car parts

Back in September of 2006, Ryan was backing out of our driveway in Olathe, Colorado and turned too quick and hit the corner post of our chain link fence. So we have had an ugly little dent in the left front fender for a long time now. Then, in June, of 2007, our air conditioner stopped working and I found out that it was our radiator condenser that needed replaced.
Back to the wreck. We haven't turned it into insurance, because we thought we would have to pay our deductible up front. I really didn't know how insurance worked. So we finally turned it into our insurance and the adjuster came out and looked at the fender and took pictures and then explained that we didn't actually have to PAY, it's just that they figure up how much it would cost for all of the damage to get fixed and then subtract our deductible (which unfortunately was $1,000.00) and the rest was ours to do whatever with. Well he called the next day and told me that we would be getting back about $450.00, which isn't enough to fix everything. But...we can buy some used parts and slowly save up and have someone to fix the dent. I called a couple salvage yards and found some of the parts we will need to fix the wreck AND I found a used condenser, and Brother Bill P said that he would show us how to replace the condenser, so we will have air conditioning again! YAY! I'm so glad that I have located these cheap parts, that will help a LOT with the cost of fixing these things. I'm going to go to the salvage yard either today or Monday and get those parts. So I'm a little upset that we aren't getting a lot back from insurance, but I am excited to be able to buy the parts right now.

8 comments:

Chantel H said...

I am so glad this is working out much better than you thought it would at first! It seems like the original plan we came up with might just work??

Sabriena said...

Hey, count your blessings - at least it wasn't a little kid that he backed into, right! It's a good thing you don't actually have to pay out of your pocket (that's what I understood you to say, but I'm not much on these things - maybe I'm a little confused?)

Jules said...

Yes, we are definately blessed that noone else was involved, and noone got hurt or anything. You aren't onfused, we won't have to pay out anything, we just won't get as much $$ back because they already took out money.
And yeah, things are looking up, I'm going ot take that extra money that we don't use on parts and put into our savings.

Thanks for your comments :) I love hearing what others think :)

Jules said...

HEHE, I meant to say CONFUSED instead of onfused! HEHE, I really need to proof read I think! LOL.

Cherrie said...

I am so glad things are working out for you. God does so much for us. I just figured out the insurance thing during the ice storm, since we have never dealt with insurance's either. Why do we pay if we don't use it when needed right.

meNmykids said...

Very glad that you will have an air conditioner, that could have been ugly. It will be great to have your van dent free, who cares how it got that way? Used parts work just as well.

marykathryn said...

Fixing a wrecked car can be so crazy expensive!! Glad that you are finding some good deals...
Your previous post cracks me up!! That poor Vici Sister...I think we might have a mutual friend..
*Wink, Wink*

Jules said...

Mary, I think you know who it is also ;) But I didn't want to say anything, hehe. You know, huh???