Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Buddy

I really wanted to write about something today, but couldn't think of anything really going on. My cockatiel is making so much noise that it drew my attention to him. So that's what I decided to write about today. Buddy is our 2 year old cockatiel. We bought him in Colorado when he was about 3 months old. When we first got him, I was scared to even touch him, I thought he would peck at me. Finally I put some seeds in my hand and he ate out of my hands for a few days, then I decided that he was warming up to me and I put my finger out for him to climb on. And he did. It took a while to get used to holding a bird and having him on my shoulder. We eventually built a bond with him. Then after 6 months we decided to get him a girl cockatiel. Her name was Cheyenne. After we got her, he didn't act the same towards us. We just lost that bond that we once had. We never did get a bond with Cheyenne. We would try to get her to get on our finger and all she would do is bite, and she bit kind of hard. And she didn't like us picking up Buddy, she would throw a fit when we were holding him. When we moved out here, we decided to get rid of her, because we were sick of her. I sold her last summer. It was the best thing I could have done! Buddy went back to being the same sweet bird again. We have had him close to 2 years, and he has learned to do so much. He copies the way you whistle. He whistles (like a guy whistles at a pretty girl) WHIT WHOO. And one of the funniest things he does is he BARKS! When the birds would get on our nerves, we would put them outside in our backyard. Our next door neighbor has a schnauzer dog that barks CONSTANTLY and Buddy picked up on his barking. It is pretty funny! Oh and my favorite thing that Buddy does is he kisses. It is so cute. He has been a fun bird to have. At times I wish we didn't have him (like in the morning when he wakes up and starts whistling) but for the most part, I love having him!

Buddy (white) and Cheyenne (gray)

Buddy and Cheyenne taking a nap

I hate this picture of me, but it is so cute of Buddy giving me a kiss :)

4 comments:

Cherrie said...

That is a sweet picture of him kissing you.

melissa said...

that is to cute

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

He sounds really cute! Although I've gotta say, those birds scare me..I've met some that are just plain mean, but he looks like a sweetie. :)

Sabriena said...

That's cute! It's nice that you've warmed up to each other. How did you get rid of Cheyenne? Did you give her to somebody you know, or put an add in the paper, or what?

As long as I am on your blog anyway... I have just set my blog to private today, and I couldn't remember everybody who blogs, so I didn't ask Aunt Chantel to tell you when I e-mailed her about it, but if you could get my e-mail address from her, then you could e-mail me so that I could invite you to my blog. I would like for you to be able to see it, so that is a way. Of course, if you don't like reading my blog (sniff), then you don't have to e-mail me.