Friday, April 4, 2008

Had a nice, but exhausting day!

Yesterday, my niece and nephew from Colorado showed up here at 1:00 pm and almost immediately, we went and got my kids out of school. The kids were SO excited to see them! They also had NO idea they were coming here. Then I had to get gas and get money out of the bank, and headed to Henryetta with Vanna. We got there and dropped the kids off. Then we all left and went to Shawnee for the Taste of Home show last night. We all met at Golden Corral and ate dinner, then went to the show. I thoroughly enjoyed the show! This lady made a lot of things that looked SOOO good, and looked easy to make. I'm going to try a few of those recipes very soon :) There were like 1000 people there and we had a group of our sisters there. Cherrie said there was like 17 sisters in our group. Well, like Cherrie said, a BUNCH of the sisters won door prizes. They gave away like 100 door prizes, but unfortunately, none for me, Cherrie, or Chantel :( My niece won a prize, my mother-in-law also won. So I was happy for all of our group who did win something. Maybe next time for me ;) The show was awesome! The lady did give a lot of helpful tips on how to do things. Cherrie named a few helpful tips. She asked me to think of a few that she didn't name. I'm going to give it my BEST try, but I'm sure I won't remember all of them ;)

1. The thing that makes peppers hot isn't actually the seeds, but it is the membrane (sp?)

2. To ripen an avocado faster, place in brown paper bag and close it for a day, or half a day, etc..., it releases a vapor and if it is confined, that vapor will help it ripen WAY faster.

3. Add 1 TBS. vinegar to boiling water before adding an egg (or 2) to keep the egg from separating, the vinegar keeps it closer together. This is for a poached egg.
4. When making meatballs (to make them all the same size), you roll out the meat on a cutting board and make it into a rectangle, then cut it into equal parts, and then roll the meatballs in your hand.

I actually can't think of any more off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll mention them in my comments for this post. I really did have a great time! I learned how to make a hollindaze sauce for eggs benedict (one of my FAVORITE breakfast items) and can't wait to try it out! We got out of the show at 10:00 pm. Then we had to drive 2 hours to get home. I was SO tired. I basically crashed.
Then this morning, my niece put some (blonde) highlights in my hair that I've been wanting for MONTHS. And they are gone now. They are going to Dallas for a big young kids get-together at 6-Flags. I'm so jealous, LOL. But it was really great getting to see my niece and nephew, even for a very short time. I really enjoyed them.

8 comments:

Sis Stubby said...

I'm glad to enjoyed your niece and nephew . Show us pictures of your hair.I like hair highlights.
The Home show sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tips.
Post the recipes if you like them.
So we can all enjoy it.

Sis. Lori P. said...

Is that you in the middle? You are so beautiful! What a smile! I've always wanted to go to one of those Taste of Home shows. You're so lucky you got to go and learn all you did. And to be with so many sisters! Wow! My favorite breakfast is Eggs Benedict too and we always make it on either Christmas morning or evening. Yummmmmmmmm....

Jules said...

Sheila: Okay, I will definately post a picture of my hair, it turned out pretty good I think. And yeah, I'll try to look through and post one (or more) of the recipes :)
Lori: Yes that is me in the middle. And thank you for the nice compliment! I'm usually not photogenic! I got lucky to get a decent picture, hehe. Eggs benedict is SO good! I am really glad I got to go. You should look online to see when they may be up in your area. They do shows nationwide :)

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

Eek! I'm drooling over here!! I love Eggs Benedict! A taste of home party sounds like so much fun! Wish we had something like that =o. All I know that we have is Pampered Chef. I always loved going to those with my mom

Marisela said...

Sound like fun....Cute Photo

Trina said...

I love all the hints! Cherries and yours have been fun to read. Im so glad that you got to spend some time with your family too. Your eyes look so blue in that photo. Beautiful!!

Cherrie said...

I am glad that we all got to go and enjoy some time together. I love being with the sisters, and learning to cook new items. I actually started cooking some new recipes yesterday. So much fun....

Tish said...

I'm so glad for you that you had such a good time. I've never been to a Taste of Home show, but I've wanted to go, but haven't been able to. Matt's mom has been to a few and really loves them.

Now I'm really horrible, and I don't even know what eggs benedict are, but according to your comments it sounds like thier pretty good.

I knew about the brown bag thing. You can even do that with things like peaches and nectarines too.

Also a few little tips that I know about:

Put a cracker in your salt shaker to prevent clumping, and add an apple slice to a closed container of hard bread or cookies and they will become more moist.